Monday, February 6, 2017

Will Complex CUs Issue Supplemental Capital?

If complex credit unions get the authority to issue supplemental capital, will they use it?

The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) Board believes that federal credit unions can only issue supplemental capital as subordinated debt.

I don't expect there will be a large number of credit unions scrambling to issue supplemental capital.

Let's look at the evidence.

Currently, most credit unions have enough capital to meet their organic growth and don't need additional capital.

In addition, low-income designated credit unions already have the statutory ability to issue secondary capital, which counts towards a credit union's net worth. But only 73 low-income designated credit unions (or 3 percent of low-income designated credit unions) reported holding secondary capital, as of June 30, 2016. Since December 31, 2011, the number of low-income designated credit unions with outstanding secondary capital ranged between 72 and 79.

Furthermore, supplemental capital will not count towards a complex credit union's net worth. According to the NCUA's Advance Notice for Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR), supplemental capital would only count towards a complex credit union’s risk-based capital ratio.

The NCUA Board believes that the "most likely users would be those credit unions with net worth ratios above the well capitalized level but with a risk-based capital below or near the minimum needed to be well capitalized." NCUA estimates that 140 credit unions might issue supplemental capital to boost their risk-based capital ratio.

Moreover, supplemental capital could be very expensive for credit unions, limiting its attractiveness. The ANPR states that the interest rate paid by community banks on subordinated debt was 300 to 400 basis points above the interest rates on ten-year treasury note. Additionally community banks report expenses associated with sales commissions, ranging from 1.25 percent to 3 percent, and fees along with legal and operational costs.

Therefore, the available evidence would suggest that credit unions will not be beating down the door to issue subordinated debt.

1 comment:

  1. Any substantial private investment into a credit union will require a seat at the board table. This will raise the level of scrutiny of credit union performance to an entirely different level ... credit unions need to be prepared for this as well. If an investor only owns 5% of the outstanding capital, you have to understand that their 5% is more important than the other 95%. It's how the world operates. The "total" price of supplemental capital is much higher than just the "rate of return" to shareholders.



The content is provided for educational purposes only, with the understanding that neither the authors, contributors, nor the publishers of this site are engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other expert or professional services. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.

Comments appearing in response to articles appearing on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the ABA. ABA makes no representations regarding the truth or accuracy of commentary or opinions that may be posted in response to the articles that appear on this website.

The inclusion herein of any link to a website, either in the text of an article or in a comment, does not denote any approval, sponsorship, or endorsement by the ABA, and ABA is not responsible for the content or opinions expressed on those linked websites or related commentary. This content is not licensed to third parties sites and is not affiliated with any third party site. Any reference to the author or this content on any third party site on the Internet is not authorized by the ABA.

It is the policy of the American Bankers Association to comply fully with all antitrust laws. Certain discussions should be considered off-limits, including those that contain competitively sensitive data such as price and cost information, or statements that could be construed as reflecting an attempt or desire to control or influence a particular market or markets. Future pricing or other prospective competitive information should never be shared.