Monday, May 2, 2016

Taxi Medallion Loan Delinquencies and TDRs Jump at Progressive

Progressive Credit Union (New York, NY) reported more problems associated with its taxi medallion loan portfolio.

After reporting a loss of $19.5 million loss for all of 2015, Progressive Credit Union posted a loss of $15.8 million for the first quarter of 2016.

Driving the loss was an increase in provisions for loan and lease losses. Progressive reported provisions for loan and lease losses of $19.1 million for the first quarter of 2016. A year earlier, the credit union had provisions for loan and lease losses of almost $1.7 million.

As of March 31, 2016, loans 60 days or more past due were slightly less than $24.6 million. This was up from $20.8 million at the end of 2015 and $3.75 million as of March 2015. At the end of the first quarter of 2016, 4.07 percent of the credit union's loans were delinquent.

In addition, early delinquencies (30 to 59 days past due) jumped from $9.9 million at the end of 2015 to $32.3 million as of March 2016.

The credit union reported a significant increase in trouble debt restructured loans (TDRs), which rose from $33.5 million at the end of 2015 to almost $89 million as of March 31, 2016. All TDRs were in nonaccrual status. TDRs represented 14.76 percent of all loans and 37.62 percent of its net worth at the end of the first quarter.

Progressive had net charge offs of almost $5 million at the end of the first quarter of 2016 compared to $1.3 million one year earlier.

Progressive Credit Union currently has a large cushion to absorb expected and unexpected losses from its taxi medallion loan portfolio.

At the end of the most recent quarter, Progressive had $55.7 million in allowances for loan and lease losses -- an increase of slightly more than $14.1 million from the end of 2015. Approximately $11.6 million in allowances for loan and lease losses was attributed to troubled debt restructured loans.

As of March 2016, the credit union had a coverage ratio (allowances for loan and lease losses to delinquent loans) of almost 227 percent.

Furthermore, Progressive is holding $232.9 million in equity at the end of the first quarter of 2016. The credit union has a net worth ratio of 37.22 percent, which fell by 186 basis points from the end of the previous quarter.


  1. "Progressive currently has a large cushion.."
    So did melrose a year ago.
    Is uber throwing in the towel?
    May Day May Day.

  2. With a loan to share ratio over 200% I am thinking...did the NCUA miss something in the quarterly call report data they receive? Can the NCUA say: concentration risk? Can we hail a UBER to bury this sick dawg? They are holding 10% of these Taxi loans, the other 90% they sold off to unsuspecting credit unions. The system is deep in dung. Several credit unions have already taken hits of 25% or more. Time to recall the Board of Directors and fire the (UN)professional management that created this toxic waste.

    1. Brings new meaning to whistling by the graveyard.
      Take a look at melrose.



The content is provided for educational purposes only, with the understanding that neither the authors, contributors, nor the publishers of this site are engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other expert or professional services. If legal or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought.

Comments appearing in response to articles appearing on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the ABA. ABA makes no representations regarding the truth or accuracy of commentary or opinions that may be posted in response to the articles that appear on this website.

The inclusion herein of any link to a website, either in the text of an article or in a comment, does not denote any approval, sponsorship, or endorsement by the ABA, and ABA is not responsible for the content or opinions expressed on those linked websites or related commentary. This content is not licensed to third parties sites and is not affiliated with any third party site. Any reference to the author or this content on any third party site on the Internet is not authorized by the ABA.

It is the policy of the American Bankers Association to comply fully with all antitrust laws. Certain discussions should be considered off-limits, including those that contain competitively sensitive data such as price and cost information, or statements that could be construed as reflecting an attempt or desire to control or influence a particular market or markets. Future pricing or other prospective competitive information should never be shared.